Thursday, May 1, 2008

My Marvelous Mom circa 1951
Well, today is a BANNER DAY in my life...
You see, I got to do something today
that my Mother never got to do....
I celebrated my 44th Birthday!
My mother only made it to 43 years and 5 months.
She would have turned 75 this past April 1st.
Now, you would think that a family history of
heart disease would prompt this gal to be forever vigilant
about her weight, diet, exercise, etc.
nope.
(THAT would be my sister...the one with seven kids...who runs on the
treadmill while we are on the phone together......)
I haven't gotten it together in years.
This will have to change.
So, in the next little while, you'll have to check in on me to see
how I'm doing on:
(Drum roll please............................................)
This is an AWESOME program.
It is a Spiritual Growth-Weight Loss program.
It is Catholic in theology and follows the
Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius of Loyola
(working on one fault at a time until it is resolved)
and Saint Therese the Little Flower.
(offering the little sacrifices we make everyday for others).
In the six months before I conceived Snorkie,
I lost almost 50 pounds following this plan.
In fact many people didn't know that I was expecting
until my ninth month....
Very few people asked any questions...
I think they thought I was just getting fat again
and didn't want to offend me!
Anyway, the program's strength is in the sacrifices we make
of only eating when we are HUNGRY...
and stopping when we are FULL....
Sounds easy, right.
Oh, and you can eat ANYTHING that you want...
Provided that it is not an amount larger than your Clenched Fist.
Anyway...I wasn't planning on getting into it this much,
but I've put it out here so you all
(...sound of crickets chirping...)
can keep me on the straight and narrow....
Oh, and I think the Good Lord wants me to start this SOON,
because He sent me some kind of
Intestinal bug for my Birthday!
yee hah.

13 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture of your mom.
    I knew there was a reason I was prompted to post that poem today.
    Good luck on your weight loss, that sounds fascinating.
    Blessings.
    Sorry about the bug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely picture!

    Good luck with your new program.

    And, thanks for stopping by today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well first

    *H*A*P*P*Y* *B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y*

    And your diet sounds wonderful and I like the idea of eating quantities the size of your fist. I can get a lot of chocolate in there.... so I like your diet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup. The amazing thing is, once you've convinced yourself that everything is OK, your body seems to work it out. There IS a lot of PRAYER involved!
    PAX.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I know your mama is celebrating it with you :) Hurray for the Communion of Saints!

    Thanks for the explanation of the Light Weigh. I'd heard of it, but never investigated. A little mortification has wonderful effects, both physically and spiritually, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to you!

    I was so happy that Roger told me to check out your blog today - he thought I would be interested in your thoughts on the Light Weigh. I just started this program last Saturday. I think I am really going to like it alot - especially if I can lose some ton-age! hehe. Good luck to us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday! The program sounds good and would work for me better then the whole 7 kids exercising all the time thing too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great picture! This plan sounds very inspiring! Go, Elizabeth! Go, Go!

    So sorry about the stomach bug. Get well and DO celebrate your birthday when you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! One more thing we have (sort of) incommon! 5/1 is my adoption birthday! I was 41 so that means that YOU'RE OLDER THAN MEEEeeeeEEEEeee! ;o)

    good luck on the weight loss. I'll be praying for your success. xoxo

    Beautiful picture of your mom, by the way. How about posting one of you at the same age.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone for the good wishes and prayers.
    Kalynne, I am often 'Mortified', but not always in a good way!

    HRH, I love to walk and ride my bike but it is so hard with the tag alongs...they always catch me.
    My sister has an awesome gym in her basemaent...and her youngest is now 4 1/2. I'm just not the treadmill type...tried it, UGH

    Damama, I'll have to see if I can find a photo of me from back then...I lost a lot of things in a flood a few years ago...THAT'S a post for another day...
    I actually resemble my Mom more than my Dad. My Tilly got those genes too.

    JCK,
    Hubby and I went out for dinner last night and I was "better enough" to order wine with my meal...OOOH two hours of uninterupted conversation!
    WOO HOO!

    ReplyDelete
  11. First Happy Birthday!!! I made it to 44 too. Your mother was beautiful and I will be happy to bug you into getting fit so you can stick around for many more years to come. You are allowed to bug me back; I'm having the hardest time staying on the exercise wagon. The program sounds great. I saw a show and I'm sorry I don't remember the name, but I linked to it on a post not very long ago about resolving the issues that lead us to the habits that keep our weight up. It was interesting. I will check out the light weight, it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday!

    That sounds like a very sensible eating plan, by the way. I need to start something myself...maybe I'll give that a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't want to comment anymore just read some previous posts, but I feel I had to wish you an Happy belated Birthday, and to tell you that your mother was so beautiful and bright. (I hope this word fit because it's exactly what I feel watching her picture).
    And I believe your programm works, that's what Gabriel does, who eats "bad , sweet, and fat" food but just to feed his appetite. He's not fat at all, I would say really thin even. Of course, he doesn't do that by faith motivation, just to remove his hunger, but faith sacrifices can help for adults. I'll try.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome!
Please leave me your thoughts.

I really do like to hear from you!
I'm just getting the hang of all this
"Bloggy" stuff, but I'll try to get back
to each of you when I can!